GingerMan Raceway-VSCDA Spring Brake 2014
I think the clothing pretty much tells the story of far-western Michigan in early spring. Think west winds off a big pond that was ice-covered just a couple weeks ago. The good news: no rain!
New wiring under the dash, nice fresh paint in the cockpit and the underbody … it all sounds so simple and easy in the mind’s eye. Add to it changing the rear axle to one suited for the shorter track, starting a fresh engine for the first time, and killing snakes was an appropriate metaphor.
David Farrington came up with data acquisition revision and it actually worked. He’s still working on getting the video right. 🙂
A little over two-miles in length, GingerMan is technical and tight. In the first practice I followed master-mentor Freiwald around the track. Eleven turns with two nice straights.
This was VSCDA’s “Spring Brake” Driver’s School and Race weekend, so there were a fair number of cars with X’s on them. And as is expected at the first event there were a fair number of rather minor issues. Our 2nd Friday practice session lasted about ¼ lap before the Black Flag All came out as two Group 2 cars got into it right off the bat in Turn 1.
In Saturday’s qualifying we got the car tuned a bit better and placed 9th on the Sprint Race grid. We finished 4th in the Sprint Race, but Dawn Fisher in her Lotus 7 had a slightly better lap time (1:55.199 vs. 1:56.168) so we were placed 5th on the grid for the Sunday Feature. The weekend was capped by a decent 3rd place finish with a recalcitrant car. Our best lap was 1:54.369. I was being challenged in the end as I was having some sputtering issue, but managed to hold on. Even with all the stress I had to laugh a little when I happened to see Joy standing at the end of the hot grid whirling her arm in circles, meaning “put your foot in it buddy!”
And as usual, the big problem on the track turned out to be a little problem under the hood — a broken wire.
Here’s a little trackside video shot by Dave Farrington.
- Automotive Supply/Federated Auto Parts www.automotivesupplyco.com(New for 2014)
- Competition Specialists Racing Engines, http://competitionspecialistsinc.com
- Googins and Anton, Investment Advisorswww.googins.com (New for 2014)
- iRoll Motors, www.irollmotors.com
- Mueller Motorwerks, www.muellermotorwerks.com
- PDXVolvos (a bunch of Portland, Oregon Volvo gearheads)
- R Sport Engineering, www.teamrsport.com
- Turbo Blue Race Fuels, www.turboblue.com (New for 2014)
- US Ceramic Coatings (New for 2014)
- VClassics Motorsport www.vclassics.com (New for 2014)